Liver function tests (LFTs) are a series of blood tests that measure different markers in the blood module to evaluate the liver’s health and detect any abnormalities or vulnerabilities.
They help diagnose liver diseases, monitor the progression of liver disease, and assess the effectiveness of treatment.
The Guide to Liver Function Testswill give you a comprehensive outline on everything you need to know about LFTs.
The liver is one of the most crucial organs in the human body, playing a vital role in various processes such as detoxification, metabolism, and digestion.
Unfortunately, the liver is also susceptible to damage and disease, making it important to monitor its health regularly. One of the most common ways to do this is through liver function tests (LFTs).
We will take a look at some of thebest liver function tests, Learn about Liver function Test names and their purposes.
When is a liver Function Test Suggested?
- From measuring enzyme levels such as Alanine transaminase (ALT) and Aspartate transaminase (AST), to evaluating the presence of yellow pigments like bilirubin and gamma-glutamyl transferase (GGT), LFTs provide a comprehensive overview of the liver’s function.
- The tests also measure the accurate measurement of total protein and albumin, produced by the liver, and prothrombin time (PT), which estimate and provide accurate information about the liver’s ability to produce factors necessary for blood to clot.
In this section of the mini guide to liver function tests, we will consider the available causes of LFTs and why they are constituted by doctors.
- Symptoms of liver disease: If a patient is experiencing symptoms such as abdominal pain, jaundice, fatigue, nausea, or loss of appetite, an LFT is generally ordered to determine if liver disease is the underlying cause.
- Monitoring liver disease progression: A patient has been diagnosed with liver diseases, such as hepatitis or cirrhosis, LFTs are performed regularly by certified doctors to monitor the progression of the disease and assess the effectiveness of treatment.
- Routine health screenings: They are often part of regular & routine health screenings and performed as part of a comprehensive physical examination or as an extension of a pre-employment or insurance medical exam.
- Monitoring the effects of medication: Certain medications, such as acetaminophen or prescription drugs, can affect the liver. LFTs are conducted before starting a new medication and periodically during treatment to monitor for information about liver-related side effects.
- Alcohol abuse: Alcohol abuse has statistically killed more people in India than most of the feared methods to perish and it remains a constant. LFTs are recommended by doctors to individuals who have a history with certain liquid abuse.
Handbook – A comprehensive Guide to LFTs
The prospect of liver function tests may be known or unknown but the reasons or symptoms are household names by now. So, let’s take the shovel
- Dark urine may indicate liver dysfunction and abnormal bilirubin metabolism.
- Yellowing of the skin and eyes suggests elevated levels of bilirubin and indicate liver disease.
- A loss of appetite signals a failing liver unable to produce adequate digestive enzymes.
- Abdominal pain may be a symptom of liver inflammation or liver disease.
- Diarrhea may result from a liver unable to properly metabolize bile.
- Weakness and fatigue indicate liver damage and decreased ability to produce energy-rich molecules.
- Nausea and vomiting may suggest a liver under stress, unable to filter toxins from the bloodstream.
- Belly swelling may result from an accumulation of fluid in the abdomen, a common complication of liver disease.
Different Types of Liver Function Test
Let’s take a look at some of theliver function test names &understand which is the Best Liver Function Test and why is it so regarding LFTs.
There is no single “best” Liver Function Test in Mumbai(LFT) as the appropriate test depends on an individual’s specific medical needs and the information required to diagnose or monitor a particular condition.
A specific LFT measures a completely different but certainly correlated aspect of liver function and health.
A combination of tests and health values must be ascertained effectively to measure specific digitals and to ascertain accurate recommendations
Alanine Transaminase (ALT) Test
ALT is an enzyme primarily found in the liver and is released into the bloodstream when there is liver damage. Elevated levels of ALT can indicate liver disease or injury.
Alkaline Phosphatase Test (ALP)
ALP is an enzyme found in the bile ducts, bone, and liver. Elevated levels of ALP can indicate liver disease or blockage of the bile ducts.
ALBUMIN AND Total Protein Test
- Albumin is the most abundant protein in the blood and is produced by the liver. Low levels of albumin can indicate liver disease or malnutrition.
- Total protein measures the amount of protein in the blood, including albumin, which is produced by the liver. Low levels of total protein can indicate liver disease or other health problems.
Aspartate Transaminase (AST) Test
Aspartate transaminase (AST) – AST is an enzyme that is present in many tissues in the body, including the liver. Like ALT, elevated levels of AST can indicate liver damage or disease.
Bilirubin is a yellow pigment formed from the degradation of red blood cells and subsequently processed by the liver before being eliminated in the bile. Elevated levels of bilirubin can indicate liver disease or blockage of the bile ducts.
Get Accurate Results with Agilus Diagnostics: Book Your Liver Function Test Today!
Join the ranks of thousands of satisfied customers and trust Agilus Diagnostics Center In Mumbai, the leading diagnostic brand in India, for all your liver function test in Mumbai.
With over 400+ network laboratories and 7000+ collection points, our team of 4000+ highly skilled lab technologists are dedicated to providing you with accurate and reliable results.
As the first lab in India to receive NABL Accreditation and a recipient of numerous awards, including the ‘COVID Diagnostics Brand Award’ at the IHW Health and Wellness Summit 2021 and ‘Best Home Healthcare Brand’ award at ‘The Business Leadership Awards 2021’, you can trust in our commitment to excellence in healthcare innovation.
As the only lab in India chosen as the diagnostic partner for the Olympics and Paralympics 2020 & 2024, trust Agilus Diagnostics to provide you with the highest standard of care. Book your liver function test in Mumbainow and experience the difference with Agilus Diagnostics.